You will automatically receive your Medicare Part A card a few months before you turn 65. Part A has no premium as long as you or a spouse has worked 40 quarters (10 years) over your lifetime in the U.S. Part A coverage includes inpatient hospital coverage and skilled nursing facility coverage after a hospital stay.
Your costs in Original Medicare
- $1,316 deductible for each benefit period.
- Days 1–60: $0 coinsurance for each benefit period.
- Days 61–90: $329 coinsurance per day of each benefit period.
- Days 91 and beyond: $658 coinsurance per each “lifetime reserve day” after day 90 for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime).
- Beyond lifetime reserve days: all costs.
- First 3 pints of blood.
Skilled nursing facility
- Days 1–20: $0 for each benefit period.
- Days 21–100: $164.50 coinsurance per day of each benefit period.
- Days 101 and beyond: all costs.
While Medicare Part A provides a great benefit there are still gaps that can be covered with the right Medicare Supplement plan.